Sunday, July 29, 2007

Introduction

To begin these blogs, let me tell you a little about who I am. First and foremost, I am a full time writer. I have been writing since I was 11 years old. Let's just say it was my last career choice growing up. I have always enjoyed telling stories and I was able to talk to people better on paper than in person. I was very shy growing up. That was in part because I was being teased by my classmates and two sisters. That changed when my family moved from Monroe to Fort Wayne, both in Indiana. I began making friends and my love for writing grew even more. I learned how to write poetry. Now, at the age of 31, I love writing more than when I was a kid. Having my own kids made the difference I think. My husband adores the fact that I write and encourages me everyday which also makes the difference. Cursed Blood was my first book published. It actually came to me through a nightmare. The main character is Donna Summers, who I was in the dream. The actual beginning of the book is the part that woke me up. I was terrified. I felt my heart racing. I looked over at my husband who didn't even stir so I lied back down and looked up at the celing as I calmed down. Then I started thinking. I had always wanted to write horror stories like Stephen King so I thought this would be a good story to begin with. I made plans for a year. I developed the characters and dates in which people died from her curse. I sat on it for a little while during the writing of another story. Then, I began writing Cursed Blood. One month later, which is my record by the way, Cursed Blood was fininished. I sent it to many publishers and waited for acceptance as I sent other stories in too. Two months later, it was available for readers.Stolen Identity is my second book published. It isn't available yet. This is the book that I was writing when I planned Cursed Blood. This one took me two years to write because the scenes were difficult to get through. I actually stopped writing it for a while when I moved to Muncie, Indiana. It was there when I talked to a friend about the book. She read what I had written and loved it. She suggested a few things to get me out of writers block and it worked. The remaining year, I spent polishing the book and began sending it in when I sent Cursed Blood. It was actually accepted by the same house that had rejected it a couple months before. A different editor saw it and liked it. She made a few more suggestions and I changed one of the scenes. Now it is begin edited, a few months after it was accepted. It was accepted in May, just shortly after my very first book signing.As I continue to write more books, new ideas keep pounding my brain. I've developed a new system which will hopefully allow me to get to each story quicker so I don't lose them. I used to write stories at the same time but that hasn't worked for me. So now, I write one book at a time, writing 5-10 pages a day, 7 days a week. It takes about an hour to write 5 pages so I begin at 1am and go to bed about 2:30 sometimes later if I get caught in a scene. Sometimes when I have time, I write in the middle of the day. It always depends on what's going on around me.Ok, for the first blog, I've said enough. More to come soon!

Amber Rigby Grosjean

No comments: