Sunday, August 3, 2008

Peterson Estate

I have recreated a world that has been with me since the beginning of my writing career. During this journey, I had some fun but at the same time, I was mourning the death of a couple chapters. It was a little hard to let go of those two chapters.

A few people were given the chance to read the story before any of those changes were made and they liked the story the way it was. I also read it to a couple children. While one hung on every word, one (a little girl) had nightmares from one of the scenes. She was a bit younger than her brother which told me her age group was too young for the story. That was when I knew it was for young adults.

Over the years, I had countless rejections from publishers who appeared they hadn't even read it. I was determined to get it published though. I put all my other stories on the back burner and planned on getting this story published first. When Cursed Blood and Stolen Identity were finally finished though, I changed my plan and put threw them both out to the sharks, happily surprised when they were accepted right away.

As time drifted by, I began to think about my original plans of writing for all age groups. Another couple months later, I decided I couldn't give up on this story. I had to work on it and make it fit what I am writing now. When the rewrite began, I felt happy about this decision and enjoyed the journey it took me down.

Now the rewrite is finished and I feel so relieved. I completely took out a couple chapters and I mentioned one of them. In the original story, those two chapters were in someone elses POV and they appeared too childish. Neither chapter really pushed the story along as the new story emerged.

There are still multiple plots pulling through the veins of the story but now there is one major plot that pulls it all together which it really didn't have before, not really. I mean it was there but it wasn't the focus of the story. Now it makes better sense and I'm glad I was able to make it happen. Peterson Estate took a few rejections and a major rewrite to make it what it is and I'm glad it happened this way. Now I just have to get it published! Back to the sharks it goes!

Amber Rigby Grosjean
http://www.argrosjean.com/

No comments: