Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Preparing for the weather change!

Well, its getting close to being over. Fall is slowly approaching which means winter will soon follow. I don't like winter so much because its cold lol. So I've begun the making clothes to keep me warm. Here's a couple things I've made so far.

 The red and white top was just finished a couple days ago. I made it with short sleeves because not all sweaters have to have long sleeves. I made a beanie to match. The green, orange, and black hoody has been undone because I really didn't like it and it was a little too big lol. I am in the process of making it over again. This time without the black. The black will be used for something else.

The yarn is pretty affordable. I only paid $2.88 per skein. The short sleeve top took 2 red and 1 white so for around 9 bucks I made something no one else has! And the other one was 2 of each color but only 1 black so it cost about 15 to create. Now, granted if I used those amounts on a new sweater in the store, I'd probably get something in better quality but by making them myself I get something new, creative, and time well spent. Plus it feels good when someone makes a compliment. Its worth it!

It took what it seems like forever to even learn how to crochet. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was younger. I wasn't getting the hang of it and my rows were coming out uneven. Of course, now I know that I was dropping a stitch but at the time, I just thought I wasn't able to do it. I'm left handed and she was right handed so the whole process was just too difficult for either of us and I gave up. A couple years ago, I met a lady who had the patients to stick with it and taught me how to make Granny Squares which doesn't require the ends to be even because you're crocheting into a square. In about a week, I started getting it and I was making my first blanket.

Of course, I got a little bored with making a blanket so I started looking at pictures in books and reading the step-by-step instructions and taught myself how to read patterns. Now I can crochet in an even line! And I am making clothes!! I've shared many of the things I've made in the past on here and I'm enjoying it. Of course, I'm not perfect and still have problems in some areas, even after 2 years but I'm still learning and I've been practicing. I love making headbands. I've made several beanies, a few scarves, many sweaters, a lot of summer tops, shorts, and more. And I take pictures of everything I make so I can learn from the mistakes I've made with each one and to remember what my work looks like after its been given away.

Now, I'm still a writer. Nothing will take that away from me. But when I have writers block and just can't get my stories right, this is something to help me relax and get a lot of thinking done. So now you're learned something about me. And I'm getting ready for the weather change all at the same time! Thank you!!

Amber Rigby Grosjean

No comments: