Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sometimes You have to rewrite that story...

I began writing my favorite story when I was only 12 years old. To me it was a great story. Lot of action, growth, fighting between good and evil, and so much more. Years went be with rejection after rejection. I had written other stories and didn't send them in so I started thinking I should give it a try to see which story was accepted first. Then 2 books were published. I've rewritten my story over and over again. Now I am in the process of rewriting it one last time.

Over the years, many stories have come out. Some of these stories are very close to the one I had written. I grew attached to those stories knowing I had written something just as good as those others. Charmed is a good story. Harry Potter is too. I always thought how funny it was seeing how close these stories were to mine. I'm still laughing it up.

Since I have now seen those shows (didn't mention them all lol) I am using what I know so they are not so close as they were before. My story was unique at one time and I felt really good knowing that. It will go back to being different again. Peterson Estate is a good story and it can be a great story.

A lot of people say that an author's first book is seldomly published. I think this is due to the writer's improvement in writing. If we all went back and took what we learned and worked on those first stories, they can still be published. We cannot give up on ourselves. We can't let others give up on us either. Keep writing. Don't let others tell you, you don't have what it takes to write (or finish) a great book. You do have what it takes, just believe in yourself. Sometimes you have to rewrite that story to make it the greatest story you have ever written!

Amber Rigby Grosjean
http://www.argrosjean.com

No comments: