Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Why do I write?

Why do I write? Why does any author write? That is probably the most important question you could ask a writer. For me, it's who I am. I am nothing without it.

I enjoy creating new and interesting people in strange places and not so strange places with strange people. I enjoy seeing how these people work with others who are different. I've always been a dreamer and have lost myself in the worlds I dreamed about. I couldn't see my life being any other way. Sure I've tried other things in my life but writing is so much a part of me that I can't stop. Even when I'm not writing, I'm writing in my mind.


I sit there and watch people no matter where I go. I try to imagine who these people are, why they are argueing and who they could be talking about. Sometimes I listen to people talk and imagine they could be discussing something I know about and could write about. It helps me learn how real people associate with each other so my characters can become more real.


I also write because I wanted to be someone who was different and wanted people to see that. I wanted to be read by people who I never met or never knew. I wanted them to say, "I feel the same way." "I needed to escape for a little while." "I didn't know that." I wanted to be someone who people could admire because I did something that no one ever thought could. I wanted to stop being a failure.


Becoming a writer really saved my life. A year or so before the decision, I attempted suicide which thank God, it didn't work. I was hurting from the teasing and the laughing from my class mates and I was lost. I didn't know who I was or where my life was going and I just wanted to give up. I honostly thought God made a mistake when He created me. The day I found myself, I knew the path I was on was chosen for me. It was chosen for me, I tell you. Someone wanted me to live that life to mold me, shape me into the person I would become, the writer I would become.


The teasing eventually slowed down and then I moved away with my family taking me to a school where I learned how to become a better person without the teasing. I improved my writing taking classes about writing. I surrounded my life with it. This is my destiny and I refuse to let anyone take it away from me. It is the only thing in my life that has never changed or escaped from me.



Why do I write? Because I am a writer. What about you?

Amber Rigby Grosjean
http://www.argrosjean.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate. Some days I am not sure why I write. Is it art? Is it money and fame. I want both, to be honest.

I do think being able to write is a gift, a gift of enlarging our world.