Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Writing Frustrations

Ok, so you're a writer! Me too lol. And now you're stuck! So its happened a few times. Frustrating isn't it? Believe me, I know how bad it can be from time to time. I find myself avoiding the task at times because of it. Its not because I have the fear of rejection because I've beaten that fear! Its not because I don't think I'm any good because I know better! And its not because I don't have the time because I have lots of time. Sometimes its writers block that ailes me.

Yes, I did say writers block. I get that from time to time and it is so aggrevating at times. I know there's a story in there somewhere but it likes to run and hide from me. My stories are my children and they like to play the part which is soo frustrating it isn't even funny. Many great writers have that problem. They get going and create story after story, and then it happens out of no where. They can't write another word. What's the world coming to when a writer can't write?

The first thing any writer should do is back away and breathe. Stop pushing yourself so hard, it will come to you in time. Sometimes interviewing your characters as if they are real can help, sometimes not. Sometimes working on a totally different story can help, sometimes not. You can even stare at your story until your face turns red if you want to, sometimes that even helps. When nothing seems to work, step away! Take a walk. Go sing some karaoke like I do at times. Go out and do ordinary things. Call a friend you haven't spoken to in a while. Watch a movie. Live a little. Then go back to your story.

If you still can't press forward, you can try editing the story a little. Maybe your character doesn't like the way the story is moving along and he/she is demanding to work with you until you fix it. Yes, characters have control over your story lol. If you know your characters this much and they really feel like they are real, this can truly happen as if there are multiple personalities trapped inside your mind. Let them out. Let them take control and do their magic. After the story is finished, you can always edit things out or add things in to bring out a better story. Until then, let your characters have their way. Be those characters if possible, with limits of course lol.

If nothing seems to work, sit on that story for a few weeks or even months while you tackle another story. Don't quit on it, just take a break from it. By the time you return to it, your mind will be fresh and you will be able to carry on. Read that last sentence and keep going without second thought about it. Once you're past that spot keep going and don't panic, ever.

When you feel the burn, joining excercising programs can also help. Writing is more than a mental prosession. Keeping your body healthy is very important. If you can't afford to go to a gym, create your own. Run, jog, or walk a mile or a length you feel comfortable at. Do some excercises at home while watching your favorite show. Eat right too! Good luck and I hope those writers blocks don't happen very often. If they do, stay calm and keep writing! You'll get past it one way or another!

Amber Rigby Grosjean

No comments: